Children under the age of four should have supervised brushings. And don’t forget to floss any areas where teeth are close together. Remember to bring children to see a dentist as early as one year old. First, it develops a healthy, secure, and trusting relationship with their dentist if children see a dentist prior to any treatment needs.
Second, any erupted teeth in a child’s mouth could potentially develop cavities. Dentists can check for cavities and also talk to you about good habits of brushing, snacking, and even feeding.
Oral Health for Kids
Supervise your child’s brushing and flossing -this is the only way we can be certain that the teeth are being cleaned!
- Brush with a “pea-sized” amount of a fluoride toothpaste for 2-3 minutes TWICE a day.
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the teeth.
- Point the bristles to where the gums and teeth meet.
- Use gentle circles, (do not scrub).
- Clean every surface of every tooth, both front and BACKS of every tooth.
- Floss with a child’s arm’s length of floss wrapped around your middle fingers, leaving about 2 inches between the hands.
- Use your index fingers and thumbs to guide the floss between the teeth.
- Slide the floss between the teeth and wrap it into a “C” shape, GENTLY slide the floss slightly under the gums.
- Wipe the tooth from bottom to top 2 or 3 times, or more, until it is squeaky clean.
- Be sure you floss both sides of each tooth, and don’t forget the backs of the last molars.
- Move to a new part of the floss as you move from tooth to tooth.
- For a better cleaning, floss before brushing.
Regular dental check ups are important for many reasons:
- You can find out if the cleaning your child does at home is working.
- Your dentist can find problems right away and fix them.
- Your child can learn that going to the dentist helps prevent problems.
- Your child can learn that going to the dentist is FUN and not fearful.
What did the vampire say after the dentist finished checking his teeth?
Fang you very much!
Why didn’t the astronaut bring her toothbrush?
She thought that the moon had no cavities!
Why did the male deer visit the orthodontist?
He wanted to get his buck teeth fixed!
When the dentist went to the fair, what did she like even better than the roller coaster?
The fluor “ride”.